RCC is supporting citizen and city leaders to partner with their counties to wisely invest new federal funds to build climate-resilient, low-carbon transportation, storm-water and electric vehicle infrastructure, energy efficient homes and businesses and communities, and reverse racial wealth gaps through small business and workforce development.
Update on Federal Funding Opportunities
MN GreenStep Cities Federal Funding Update https://greenstep.pca.state.mn.us/node/104426
- Funding opportunities landing pagehttps://www.transportation.gov/grants/dot-navigator/bipartisan-infrastructure-law-funding-opportunities
- State Aid for Local Transportation https://www.dot.state.mn.us/stateaid/iija.html
- Upcoming Notice of Funding Opportunity Announcements in 2022 https://www.transportation.gov/bipartisan-infrastructure-law/key-notices-funding-opportunity
US Department of Transportation
- USDOT Navigator https://www.transportation.gov/dot-navigator
- Competitive grant programs local governments can apply to directly https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bipartisan-infrastructure-law/grant_programs.cfm
MN Department of Commerce
- Landing page for funding and resources https://mn.gov/commerce/industries/energy/policy/federal-bipartisan-infrastructure-law.jsp#iijasignup
MN Department of Employment and Economic Development
- IIJA broadband funding https://mn.gov/deed/programs-services/broadband/infrastructure/
- Infrastructure funding (state and federal) https://mn.gov/deed/government/financial-assistance/infrastructure/
White House BUILD Resources
- White House BUILD Guidebook https://www.whitehouse.gov/build/
- White House Technical Assistance Guide https://www.whitehouse.gov/build/technical-assistance-guide/
- White House BUILD Rural Playbook https://www.whitehouse.gov/build/rural/
- White House BUILD Tribal Playbook https://www.whitehouse.gov/build/bipartisan-infrastructure-law-tribal-playbook/
City-County Climate Action with Federal Infrastructure & Build Back Better Funds Thursday December 2 2021 Join us at 1pm or 6:30pm Conversation with city & county staff, elected & citizen leaders. AGENDA
Briefing/Q & A on Federal Build Back Better & Infrastructure Funds that will becomeavailable for MN cities & counties – Dr. Peter Wyckoff, Energy & Environment Advisor, Office of Senator Tina Smith &/or other MN Congressional Delegation staffers (pending BBB approval)
MN State Agency staff& County Commissioners share opportunities for coordinating & leveraging local investments. Topic Conversations – Transportation (E.V. Infrastructure, transit) Renewable Energy, Weatherization, Climate Resilience, Green Jobs/Workforce
U.S. Senate deal would boost Minnesota’s infrastructure
Senate plan promises billions for Minn. roads, bridges, public transportation, internet. By Hunter Woodall Star Tribune AUGUST 3, 2021
What Minnesota’s delegation loves and hates about the Senate’s big infrastructure deal
In need of 60 votes to pass the evenly divided Senate, the bill is full of compromises.
By Ashley Hackett | Aug. 4, 2021 MINN POST Story
- Check out the League of Minnesota Cities Grant Navigator
- Check with your regional development commission if located within one.
- MN Council of Nonprofits grant writing/seeking courses are open to the public (filter using “fundraising & Grantseeking”).
- Connecting Rural Communities with Historic Federal Clean Energy Investments (ACEEE and Great Plains Institute)
- Federal Funding Opportunities for Local Decarbonization (American Cities Climate Challenge)
The federal Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA), also known as the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, became law on November 15, 2021. The IIJA authorized $1.2 trillion in funding opportunities across a wide variety of infrastructure subject areas, including:
- Energy – Funding opportunities authorized under IIJA include grid modernization, new electric transmission, energy system resiliency and reliability updates, electric vehicle charging infrastructure, improvement to the energy efficiency of buildings, smart manufacturing, carbon capture and carbon utilization projects, renewable energy technologies and demonstration projects and other innovative initiatives.
- MN Dept. of Commerce: available grants, email updates, and opportunities to partner on funding.
- Transportation – provides higher funding levels and many new formula and discretionary grant programs that will expand the definition of transportation infrastructure and address health and community-driven outcomes.
- MnDOT: available grants and information about formula funding.
- DOT Navigator, US DOT: technical assistance to help communities understand the best ways to apply for grants, and to apply for and deliver transformative infrastructure projects and services.
- Water Infrastructure
- More resources:
- IIJA Guidebook: a roadmap for all available funding for state, local, tribal, and other territorial leaders. See also the Tribal and Rural playbooks.
- MN Senate Fiscal Issue Brief: provides an overview of IIJA funding coming to Minnesota.